So a while back I was thinking of making a new case for my Raspberry Pi and now I’ve finally gotten around to finishing one!
Items I used:
- White cardboard box that my RPi Model B came in, so it was already sized to shape
- 1/4 ” thick anti-static foam salvaged from the hard drive section of an old computer tower
- Four rubber end caps from a Meccano Erector set to use as rubber feet for the case
- Silver spray paint
- Red spray paint
This was a make-it-up-as-you-go kind of project for me. I first cut all the peripheral holes one at a time, starting with the USB and Ethernet ports. Then I cut the foam to size and cut a big ventilation hole in the bottom of the case directly underneath the Broadcom chip.
The artistic part came next. I spray-painted the entire case silver to give it a metallic look and used black paint and a crumpled paper towel to give it a sponged, scratched-up look around the sides. I also added the visage of the Raspberry Pi logo using red spray paint and a 3D printed template of the logo. It didn’t come out too good maybe because I jiggled it a bit during spray-painting and didn’t block it properly. It goes with the sturdy-used-tech theme of the case I think though.
The last step was adding the rubber feet and putting it into action! The only problem I noticed is that it does get a little warm in the case. I probably should’ve added more ventilation holes in the bottom since the anti-static foam traps the heat. This isn’t really an issue for me, though, because I don’t run my Pi for very long periods of time.